8/5/11

Bill Shirer remembered

Book Review: The Long Night - WSJ.com: "Shirer would achieve fame all over the English-speaking world as a historian of the Third Reich, but he was at his best as a reporter. His greatest talent lay, as Mr. Wick shows, in simply being there when big things happened."

And I remember Bill too
Frequent luncheon conversations in our Berkshire County haunts
He had retired to the Pelton house in Lenox
I was in Stockbridge
We had a push pull relationship as he was always at me to work harder
I was always bobbing and weaving
It was copacetic
It was what it was
What we did share mainly was a hatred of totalitarianism
And a sense of its ominous presence even in the late 1960s as it was attaining its shape and style
In these parts
This biography looks to be a good work if I may use that term

No comments:

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press