8/26/11

Most of what I read on education is teacher-centric

The Schools We Need | Erik Reece | Orion Magazine:

Most of what I read on education is teacher-centric. In my understanding, this is a major error. Education is driven most effectively by a single simple thing. The curiosity of the student. The desire to follow a certain line of interest. This is why I see the reforming of education in terms of freeing students to follow their own interests. The whole notion of school as a class which depends on a teacher to maintain some sort of order while somehow eliciting the interest of each student is absurd. The notion of attending a school which looks more like an office complex than a place to settle in and learn is inherently defeating. I would move in the direction of kiosks with large screen presentations of the very best of everything curated by people who know whatever the subject is and can answer the questions of interested students. I would measure progress by the quality of conversation between a student and a curator. I would close the cover of any book that suggests that the teacher is the main key to educational reform.

No comments:

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press