9/27/11

My friend Will Campbell

We met in the Smoky Mountains in 1961. We worked together off and on until this year. Will is well into his 80s. I called his little office in Mt. Juliet, just a one-room building down the hill from his house. After several attempts the announcement came. Account closed. I rarely called his home though Brenda is as dear to me as anyone. Privacy is honored. But I finally did call and left a message and then got through. It was so good to hear Brenda's voice. She was good to me when I was going through some hell of my own. Will suffered a stroke. He can maybe recognize Brenda. He is a giant of the civil rights movement. Born and raised in Liberty, Mississippi. Iconoclastic Christian. White. Acerbic. Much quoted. Irascible. An author of prize-winning narratives and a surpassingly good novel called The Glad River. Speech has been robbed of one of its most treasured voices.

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press