12/15/11

Ed Sanders Says His Heart Is Broken

From Turbulent 60s to Turbulent Teens: a Q&A with Ed Sanders: "Do you think the pendulum of political America is currently making a significant swing back toward the left?
I’ve been around a long time, seen a couple pendulums swing back and forth, but I think maybe the pendulum is a broken metaphor now. It’s just a swing out to less and less, widening this abyss between people who can pay $300 for a shirt and those who get by with a $10 tee. I don’t know what’s going to happen: we could all wind up in the gutter, eating dog food quiche on an encampment under the freeway somewhere. There’s no safety net anymore except for people who have strong family ties and families that have money. Like in a Chekov short story, where you have some out-of-work uncle living well in the manor house of a wealthy family member. I thought that when I was old that social democracy would have grown up in the United States, and my heart is broken that it hasn’t."

'via Blog this'

Global Online Privacy

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press