12/27/11

I mean no more than the ideas of first, second, third

Charles Peirce, "A Guess at the Riddle", at ARISBE: THE PEIRCE GATEWAY:

"Perhaps I might begin by noticing how different numbers have found their champions. Two was extolled by Peter Ramus, Four by Pythagoras, Five by Sir Thomas Browne, and so on. For my part, I am a determined foe of no innocent number; I respect and esteem them all in their several ways; but I am forced to confess to a leaning to the number Three in philosophy. In fact, I make so much use of threefold divisions in my speculations, that it seems best to commence by making a slight preliminary study of the conceptions upon which all such divisions must rest. I mean no more than the ideas of first, second, third—ideas so broad that they may be looked upon rather as moods or tones of thought, than as definite notions, but which have great significance for all that. "

'via Blog this'

Global Online Privacy

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press