Skip to main content

We will always have a language problem.

We will always have a language problem. Right now I am wrestling with C. S. Peirce folk about what constitutes a root triad - mine is reality, ethics, aesthetics and I would defend it against Peirce himself if he was about. What I will argue is that we make language and that increasingly it will come less from the academy than the world mind that the Internet is becoming. 

 Triadic Philosophy 100 Aphorisms eBook: Stephen C. Rose: Kindle Store http://buff.ly/1ej72aT



PS A Note To 
The Peirce List
Aesthetic has been so tied to the "art world"  (Danto) that its universal meaning has not even begun to evolve. But we will change that. Aesthetics is a characteristic of all human action. The explication of the triad in terms of a sculptor (1st, etc...) is sort of fitting pieces of a puzzle. I see things differently. First is the utterly amorphous and vague and inexpressible penumbra I sense Pierce may have evoked. I see the second as a defining challenge. A bump in the road. I think conscious consideration can accept the free choice of the values-ethical nature of that challenge. If the aim of life is truth and beauty (reasonableness) then it might follow that the proper place for aesthetics is in the third position because aesthetics embraces all action and expression. It is performance. It is representation for real. I respect Peirce and I respect this list and I would respect the "verdict" that such discussion as this is peripheral, self-referential and so forth. If that is so, I will desist and be glad to carry on dialog with anyone who thinks I am on to something. 

Stephen's Remarkable Kindle Store

Popular posts from this blog

Etc.

"Sto Perigiali" One of the Surpassingly Best Tunes Theodorakis Has Written

A Setting for a Poem "Denial" Beloved by the Greek People by the Nobel Prize Winning Poet Giorgos Seferis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhk0ckaCxDI
The remarkable video at the link above is of a performance of "Sto perigiali" Mario Frangoulis and Mikis Theodorakis in 2001.

Frangoulis and Theodorakis are joined by musicians, including two bouzouki players, and a very large audience that is completely familiar with the words. The audience joins in at Frangoulis' prompt.

This is my very favorite Theodorakis melody. Those who know Theodorakis only for his "Zorba" music are in for a treat. When I was in Athens in 1966, for a short period of study with Constantinos Doxiadis, I knew nothing of Theodorakis. But about five years later, my friend Irene Vassos sang "Sto perigiali" to us. I have never gotten the tune out of my mind.

Later, when Irene joined our group to form a travelling company performing "New Rain", I learned to pick out a …

Stephen C. Rose Bio

Stephen C. Rose (1936-) was born in New York City and raised there. He currently lives there. He was educated at Trinity, Exeter, Williams and Union Theological Seminary. He served in the Student Interracial Ministry in Nashville. He founded and edited the prize-winning Renewal Magazine in Chicago and studied with C. A. Doxiadis in Athens. His first books "The Grass Roots Church" and "Who's Killing The Church" established him as a prominent critic of American Protestantism and American religion. He was and remains a civil rights activist. He has interviewed and done in depth pieces on Saul Alinsky and Martin Luther King, Jr. He won awards for editorial courage and for two documentary films. He has written and published many songs and musical works including "We Are All Americans". During the late 90s and early 2000s he worked for UN agencies, most recently editing CHOICES Magazine at UNDP. Since 2000 he has written several books for distribution via K…