8/5/11

On not knowing what we are talking about

Balanced Budget Amendment Next Goal for Republicans - NYTimes.com

It is perplexing not to know what one is opining about
I would not pretend to know if it is right to say that all states must borrow more than they take in to grow
If it is right the GOP is wrong
But I think the GOP is wrong in another way
Its trust in private enterprise requires a Reinhold Niebuhr realism I think
With little or no regulation the impulse to profit and the willingness to cut corners is what we might oil-spill intensive or meltdown-intensive
Russia demonstrates that these sins are not confined to private enterprise
Niebuhr would say these lapses reflect immoral society and agree with me that democracy is the best of options available
In order for the GOP to convince me that required budget balancing is not a formula for national suicide it would have to prove to me that
Private enterprise is inherently moral - that it practices tolerance, helpfulness and democracy and has no idols including profit
And that private enterprise is better than government at things like security, food and health safety and other things requiring the services of people who are operating, one might assume, from a position of some altruism
What is remarkable is the assurance with which we draw conclusions
If I don't know something I assume that at least 200 million other Americans share my ignorance




Global Online Privacy

No comments:

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press