10/5/11

The Working of Peirce's Threes

Oddly enough it was Brent, whose biography of Peirce I am not in love with because it is, in a word, binary, who explained to my initial satisfaction the working of Threes which I must assume to be the basic structure of semiosis or semiotics at least for Peirce. To condense, the First as excitation the Second as Blunt Truth and the Third as experimental hypothesis or theory of how one might practically move forward beyond One and Two. I thought I have actually been operating and thinking this way in my own life and that I got into trouble mainly when I reverted to the binary. I thought that most of the back and forth in Congress resulted from being caught in the binary. I thought Obama is a Peircean either consciously or not.


Global Online Privacy

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press