12/25/11

Even as a Child Holidays Were Solitary

Some Christmas Thoughts
I've never associated being alone with the negative aspects of solitude
I never view friends as gone if they are absent
Or even if they are old and not active
When I see people we take up where we were
Or with what's now as if no time had passed
Today on the communal treadmill in my building
I watched religionists on TV
Joel Osteen was being smoothly sensible
Creflo Dollar was being a DJ for no reason I could fathom
I don't believe in Christmas I guess
At least in hip hop versions of Jingle Bells
If Jesus is anything he is an ignorer of holidays
He will throw over any occasion to do what strikes him as important
Often what is important to him is solitude
What we have in our Bible is a puzzle
The disaster of religion is fundamentalism
The disaster of religion is rationalization
The disaster of religion is assuming we know things we cannot know
I know Jesus because I knew people who worked in his name
They tended to be like Jesus in most things
Iconoclastic
Tolerant
Helpful
And intensely democratic 
These are the values I cleave to
I am pale compared to the folk I take as mentors
If anything saves me it is that I am not ashamed to speak truth
Without one shred of claim to be worthy of it

Global Online Privacy

RECCMENDATION Richard Gordon Quantum Touch

The Slow as Molasses Press