Barack Obama is a hoops guy. Barack Obama knows how to score points.
I'm grading his performance on suggestions I made in October 2010:
1. Introduce the idea of Sherlock Holmes in talking about the War on Terror. Get people ready for a coming move from reliance of military might. (A Three Pointer.) B+
2. Beat up on criminal bankers and their kith and kin. It is our money they are taking on the train to New Canaan, Greenwich and Stamford. (Slam dunk.) C-
3. Get specific about regulatory controls. Talk about leverage ratios. Say what's been done and what's needed. No general statements about Wall Street Reform. People don't believe it's happened yet. (Several lay ups needed.) B-
4. Propose contests. For example, a contest to design or create from existing areas 21st century neighborhoods of 5-10,000 persons. Reduced vehicular traffic, safety and security, connect everything with pedestrian ways, include many "squares" and plazas and small parks. Talk about safe places for kids to play. (Lay up.) D
5. Tax on all market transactions and scrub mandatory insurance purchases no one likes. (Three pointer.) F
6. Train up a class of driving professionals who can do minor emergency repairs and have basic paramedical skills. A new profession. Millions of jobs. (Lay up.) D+
7. Insert David Plouffe into the White House. Talk to him daily. Heed him. (Consistent scoring) A-
8. Get Bill Clinton to fund a careful study of the relationship between philanthropic endeavors and social progress. D
9. Institute simple global security measures such as a required super-secure credit card for all air travel. No cash ticket buys. A free pass for passengers who pose no threat. (Three pointer if done right.) D
10. Oil will go back to $100 a barrel. Again, a line of green initiatives that make sense in language people can understand. (No scores but needed.) B
Frangoulis and Theodorakis are joined by musicians, including two bouzouki players, and a very large audience that is completely familiar with the words. The audience joins in at Frangoulis' prompt.
This is my very favorite Theodorakis melody. Those who know Theodorakis only for his "Zorba" music are in for a treat. When I was in Athens in 1966, for a short period of study with Constantinos Doxiadis, I knew nothing of Theodorakis. But about five years later, my friend Irene Vassos sang "Sto perigiali" to us. I have never gotten the tune out of my mind.
Later, when Irene joined our group to form a travelling company performing "New Rain", I learned to pick out a …
To counter the invidious efforts of Karl Rove and the Brothers Koch, simple videos of everyday people expressing gratitude for specific results from specific things that the President has achieved will create a signature response that will turn the tables on the Super PACs.
There could be an intro that flags lies distortions and anonymous attacks as unreal and even criminal and a cut to what is real, recognizable and not anonymous I am (name). I have lived here in (name) for (time). Thanks to (President Obama's (name) Act ... and so forth for ten seconds. Close with a continuation of the story narrated over evocative images and simple acoustic music.
This would be a fantastic way to counter the attacks on the President. For every specific attack, a video that shows the truth. And grass roots people who intend to vote for the President.